This is probably not the blog you thought it was. No, we are not going to teach you how to ruin your enamel – rather, we are going to reveal things you are already doing in your day-to-day life to destroy the surface of your teeth. Many of the habits we have in our lives are detrimental to our overall dental health. The scary part? Once your enamel is gone, there is no getting it back.
Protection Comes First
Before it is too late, you should definitely put prevention at the top of your priority list when it comes to dental issues. When it comes to enamel, we recommend adding fluoride toothpaste to your brushing regimen. Dentists also encourage patients to schedule cleanings twice every year and brush twice every day. If you have these basic dental habits down already . . . it is time to reveal what little things are slowly but surely ruining your enamel.
- Hard Bristles. You may be brushing your teeth twice per day, but are you brushing with the right brush? Next time you purchase a toothbrush (which should be every 3-4 months), make sure it is labeled as ‘soft’ or ‘extra soft’. Anything firmer will scrape the surface of your teeth and chip off your enamel bit by bit. Even if you have a ‘soft’ toothbrush, over time, these soft bristles can be worn down and hardened. Eventually, the bristles become jagged. That is why it is essential to change your toothbrush regularly.
- Sugary Diet. It is no mystery that sugar causes cavities, but most people don’t put two and two together. As sugar eats away our teeth, often causing holes in the tops of our molars, it is also eating away the surface of our enamel. Things like soda and hard candies are some of the worst products we can consume – both for our teeth and our waistline.
- Whitening Products. We want beautiful, bright white smiles. At what cost, though? Drugstore products like whitening strips, toothpaste, whitening trays, and even whitening lights contain dangerous chemicals that may whiten your teeth but also destroy your enamel. In addition, as the enamel gets worn away, your teeth will become increasingly sensitive. It’s just not worth the pain. Instead, come see our dental team at East Harmony Dental. Our professional team can whiten your teeth safely and reveal a whiter smile in just one session.
- Opt for Alkaline. Most of us don’t go around eating lemons, but if you do – stop. Consuming acidic fruits and vegetables can damage your enamel just like a drugstore whitening product. That glass of wine at dinnertime? You may want to rethink it.
- Sans Fluoride. Many people assume that fluoride was a childhood mineral meant for baby teeth. That is false. Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that naturally strengthens our enamel even into adulthood. While it can’t rebuild our enamel, opting for a toothpaste that contains fluoride can help protect the surface of your teeth from erosion and dental decay.
Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late
We can’t emphasize this enough: Enamel cannot be rebuilt. If you are concerned about your enamel or you have questions about how to protect it, please schedule an appointment with our excellent team of dental providers at East Harmony Dental. New patients can be seen for their first visit for only $59 (this includes x-rays, exam, and cleaning). We can’t wait to care for your smile!