I’m sure you’ve canceled more than one or two appointments this year to help stop the spread of COVID-19. You’re not alone in this! It’s okay if you weren’t able to make your recent six month dentist appointment. Although we do recommend going to the dentist at this time, we created a list of at-home dental care tips that you can follow int the meantime!
6 At-Home Oral Care Tips
- Remember to brush your teeth twice a day. Forgetting to brush can negatively impact your oral health. If you want to optimize your brushing, try using a tongue scraper!
- Before brushing your teeth remember to floss! Flossing is similar to washing your hands but not scrubbing in between your fingers. When you floss you remove food and bacteria that are stuck in between your teeth.
- Fluoride is another important part of your dental hygiene! When you aren’t going to the dentist you’re missing a professional cleaning and a fluoride treatment. Try buying fluoride infused toothpaste or mouth wash.
- Stay away from sugary foods. Sugar isn’t the best for your overall health, but especially not for your oral health. Bacteria feed off of sugar and can create bad breath, tooth decay, and more! The less sugar you consume, the better shape your teeth are in!
- Try and avoid brushing and flossing immediately after consuming acidic beverages. The first thing you’re going to want to do after drinking an acidic beverage is brush your teeth. This is the worst thing you can do! Acidic beverages are known to soften your enamel, and saliva can counteract this issue. If you brush your teeth you’re taking away the saliva.
- Keep an eye out for bleeding gums, lumps, and other problems that seem out of the ordinary. Be sure to continuously look for these problems and if you see anything strange, contact a professional.
Visit Your Dentist
At home, there is only so much you can do for your smile. But if you pair these tips alongside your regular dentist visits, you will see a change for the better in your dental health! Be sure to contact East Harmony Dental to make your appointment today.